DHERST partners with Milne Bay Provincial Government and East New Britain Provincial Government
On 3rd June 2022, the Department of Higher Education Research Science and Technology (DHERST) signed two (2) Memorandums of Partnerships (MoP) with the Milne Bay Provincial Government (MBPG) and East New Britain Provincial Government (ENBPG).
Representing DHERST were Dr. Francis Hualupmomi (Acting Secretary) and Mr. Lonnie Baki (Deputy Secretary - Institutional Development and Partnership Wing). MBPG was represented by Mr. Ashan Numa (Provincial Administrator) and Mr. Roma Tuidam (Provincial Education Advisor) whilst ENBPG was represented by Mr. Levi Mano (Deputy Provincial Administrator) and Mr. Alkan Mararang (Acting Provincial Education Advisor).
The collaborations are part of the reform agenda in the higher education sector that are now being implemented. DHERST will continue to collaborate with other Provincial Governments to form similar partnership arrangements.
Through the partnership, DHERST and the two Provincial Governments agree to cooperate closely and consult on matters of mutual interest to achieve their common objectives and key areas of cooperation include:
- Higher Education Sector Development Funding in support of Infrastructure Programs;
- Provide opportunities for students through scholarship programs;
- Improve Digital Education Services at the Higher Learning Institutions;
- Establish pathways for employment opportunities with business communities;
- Assist in establishing new higher education development initiatives in the provinces; and
- Cooperate in emergencies under relevant applicable laws in the Papua New Guinea jurisdiction.
The term of the MoPs will remain effective for five years.
One of the challenges that the partnership aims to address is to promote effective coordination of the higher education sector development within the provinces. The Higher Education function is a national function and the services are delivered in the provinces. It, therefore, requires effective coordination with the Provincial Governments as they (Provincial Governments) also prioritise the development of Higher Education Institutions as part of the provinces' development agenda. DHERST will strategically collaborate with provincial governments to complement each other's efforts in the higher education sector to improve Access,Quality, and Relevance.