Boosting Education Standards Together in PNG (BEST PNG) Program
Female Students Teacher Education Scholarship Scheme
Scholarships for female students in Bachelor of Education Degree in Secondary Education with specialization in Mathematics and/or Science.
Target Provinces: Western, Gulf, Milne Bay, Oro, West Sepik, West New Britain, Morobe and New Ireland.
About the Scholarship:
The Government of Papua New Guinea through the National Department of Education (NDoE) recieved a grant from the Global Partnership of Education (GPE) www.globalpartnership.org as an Education Sector Plan Implementation Grant towards supporting of Boosting Education Standards Together in PNG (BEST). This grant is implemented by the BEST PNG Program Management Unit (PMU) that is supported by Save the Children in PNG (SCPNG) as Grant Agent.
Part of the grant proceeds is to support forty (4) female students from underserved target provinces to study Bachelor of Education degree in Secondary Education with specialization in Science and/or Mathematics. In addition, Save the Children has mobilized ten (10) more scholarships to be funded by New Crest Mining Ltd (NML). The beneficiaries to the scholarships will be enrolled at identified Teacher Training Institutions recognized by the Department of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (DHERST).
- Scholarship applicant must be a female.
- For the 40 GPE scholarships, students must be from one of the targeted provinces listed below:
- Milne Bay;
- Oro (Northern);
- West Sepik, and;
- West New Britain (WNB).
- For the additional ten (10) Scholarships funded by NML, students must be from Morobe and New Ireland.
- Students must be accepted at one of the following three Higher Education Institutions, referred to as Teacher Education Schools (TES) in the application document:
- St. Peter Chanel Catholic College of Teacher Education (SPCCC);
- University of Goroka (UOG), and;
- Pacific Adventist University (PAU).
- Students should be enrolled for Year One of the Bachelor of Education in their TES in 2021.
- Students should be current residents of the provinces supported by GPE and NML.
- Must have either one natural parent or both parents originating from and/or residing in the target Province.
- Student study program should include speciality in Mathematics and/or Science.
- Must have completed Grades 10 and/or Grade 12 in a secondary school in the targeted provinces. Applicants who completed Grade 10 only from the targeted provinces may be considered.
- Must have completed grades Twelve (12) in 2020, 2019 and 2018 in one of the targeted provinces [School Leavers will be preferred; consideration will be given to those who completed grade 12 in 2019 and 2018].
- National High School students must have attended Grades 10/11 at a High School in the respective (selected) provinces.
- Must not be on any other scholarship scheme offered ny DHERST or the Provincial Division of Education (PDoE).
- Students recieving NML scholarships must be willing to conduct community activities along with NML in their home provinces during school breaks, and participate in visibility events of NML.
- Qualifying femal students who meet the above criteria are encouraged to apply for a study program leading to a Bachelor of Education Degree in Secondary Education with Specialization in Mathematics and/or Science and the following institutions: University of Goroka (UOG); Pacific Adventist University (PAU) and St. Peter Chanel Catholic College (SPCCC).